On Thu, Oct 18, 2001 at 07:38:52PM -0400, Billy Biggs wrote:
>   Why not just release shared libraries on the client-side?  How is
> library versioning insufficient to handle API changes?

It isn't.  You have to be careful as soon as you start shipping shared
libraries, though.  If the specification is still in flux it's a very
bad idea.  Just look at the libgal mess in Debian right now.  A new
incompatible version comes along seemingly every few days, and forces
rebuilds of all the packages that use it.

While an interface is under development, you either need to be
responsible about bumping the .so version (else you get binaries that
won't load), or you need to ship a static library.

> The current .a situation is causing lots of problems.
>
> Personally, I really don't like the idea of separate _pic.a versions.

That's why I'm asking XFree86 to discuss it.  What I don't want to do,
however, is storm in here and start demanding shared objects.  I am
trying to be mindful of alternatives.

--
G. Branden Robinson                |     If God had intended for man to go
Debian GNU/Linux                   |     about naked, we would have been

PGP signature