Alexander Zangerl <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> i'm running 3.3.6, and was up to now using xkb for my german keyboard.
>
> the problem i've encountered is:
> programs like xscreensaver, quintuple-agent etc. that are grabbing
> the keyboard for passphrase input cannot receive input that is generated
> using mode_switch+key, eg. @ (mode_switch+q).
>
> i've digged into both apps and added ugly printf debugging, and that
> is what i detected: there are two events generated, one for the
> keypress of altgr and one for q. XLookupString returns no string for
> the first event, which is ok as altgr/mode_switch is nonprintable and
> just a modifier. unfortunately, XLookupString does then return just q
> for the second event, which is wrong.
>
> all other x apps like xev that do not grab the keyboard work fine.
> everything works fine, if i switch off xkb totally.
>
> my xkb setup is absolutely plain, model pc102, layout de,
> variant nodeadkeys and options ctrl:nocaps.
>
> i went through the list archive, but i have not found anything
> that seems to be related to that problem.
>
> my question now is: is this a known problem? if so, how likely
> is a fix for this?

I've seen reports of this this problem from other people (don't
remember at this point whether it was a mozilla bug report, a GTK+ bug
report, a Red Hat bug report, but I remember seeing something.) I'm
pretty sure this was fixed as of 4.0.x. So, you might want to try
updating to something recent.

Regards,
                                        Owen