Strange issues with VT switching:

X version:
XFree86 Version 4.1.99.1 / X Window System
Release Date: xx September 2001

(October sources)

Card: ATI Technologies Inc 3D Rage I/II 215GT [Mach64 GT] (rev 41)

Issues:

1) Repeating VT switching from console to X causes X to lock hard (garbled
display @ top of screen in X). Have to reboot PC by reset.

2) Switching to high-res modes (800x600) seems to cause my monitor grief
(I have to turn it off/on to get it to display). It doesn't do this in Windows
environments though so I'm suspicious about something (it could be the
monitor's switching mechanism thats failing (?)).

Anyone having these issues?