On Thu, 1 Nov 2001, Dmitry Yu. Bolkhovityanov wrote:

> On Wed, 31 Oct 2001 09:07:06 -0500, Brian J. Murrell wrote:
>
> > The latter.  The third head is connected to a TV via a "TV-Out"
> > supporting card.  I don't really want the TV as part of my desktop
> > real estate.
> >
> > > (not likely to be ever implemented,
> > > according to Mark V.)?
> >
> > I wonder why selective binding of screens will never be implemented
> > with Xinerama.  It seems to me to be a natural progression in
> > the evolution of Xinerama.
>
>       I'd also be interested in such a feature, but reality is that Mark
> is the only "Xinerama-aware" person, and he doesn't seem to be interested.
> (Mark, are you reading this?  Please correct me if I'm wrong.)

   Implementation issues aside, there are some things that have to
happen first.  The original Xinerama sample implementation came with
no API.  There was an API, but it didn't ship with it, probably because
it was still in the old PanoramiX namespace.  That API was useless
and didn't even tell you where the physical screens were located at.
I created my own API in the Xinerama namespace, reved the library
and shipped it with XFree86 and this is what you have today.  I got
some flak for this because now we have a bunch of applications
using this and it's not an official X API.  The X.org Xinerama
task force is working on an official API - one that supports
multiple logical screens.  I don't think it would be a good idea
to go ahead without them this time.

   As for implementation issues, this touches a very large part of
the server.  It might be straightforward, but I haven't thought
about it much.  I think it would be good to have but it's not
a high priority for me.  I only run with two heads myself.

                                Mark.