Jarno Mikael Niemelä wrote:

> > I'm no expert on the bitmap module, and haven't seen anything like this
> > before...
> >
> > You didn't happen to 'strip' the modules, did you?  That would be bad.
>
> What means 'strip' modules? I just checked out the sources from CVS,
> skipped the Broken Savage with #define XFree86Cards ati nv
> and compiled with make World.

If you don't know, then you don't need to worry.  It's a utility to
remove symbols from binary modules.

> I've tried both installing on top of Redhat XF 4.10 with make install
> and by removing the /usr/X11R6 and then doing make install.
>
> Or is there something else I should do.

The Install instructions (latest here
http://cvsweb.xfree86.org/cvsweb/xc/programs/Xserver/hw/xfree86/doc/Install?rev=1.12&content-type=text/x-cvsweb-markup)
have a manual install section (4) which gives requirements for the
directory structure.  I don't think you need any of this, because the
directories changed prior to 4.1.0 and you should be all setup with the
correct structure already.

> When I figured out that the libbitmap.a was causing problems, I copied it
> from backups (Redhat XF 4.10), and then startx complained about libpci.
> So theres something wrong with several libraries.
>
> Is there any way I could replace only the ATI drivers, since in couple
> days I have to decide whether to keep the card or return it to shop :(
>
> Jarno

Maybe...  There would be a ati_drv.o or similar name in the driver
directory.  On the install it is normally in
/usr/X11R6/lib/modules/drivers.  You could replace it with the one in
your CVS tree, however this may not work for various reason.

--
Kevin