[Keith Packard]

>   Around 21 o'clock on Dec 3, Mark Vojkovich wrote:
>
>   >    How about we let through any mail from people subscribed to
>   > the list and moderate messages from anyone who isn't?
>
>   I suppose; that would also reduce the random spam some.

This really helps on my lists.  It's a bit of a pain to administer,
though, I have to click on each of 30-40 messages per day to tell
Mailman it's spam, and proper submissions could easily be lost among
the spam.

>   The key is to make sure your From address is a member of the list;
>   is there anyone for whom that would be a significant burden?

It is possible to subscribe using several addresses, and select "No
Mail" for all but one of them in the Mailman web interface.  You can't
use an invalid address for posting (it can't be invalid at the time of
subscribing, anyway) but you can make it easily identifiable so that
mail to that address can be filtered out if an address harvester
happens upon a list archive.  Common techniques for tagging an address
are [EMAIL PROTECTED], or user+localpart@domain (common in Sendmail
installations), or user-localpart@domain (Qmail).

--
Kjetil T.               abusing standards for the greater good
                        http://www.microsoft.com:products@3333866552/