Rene Rebe writes:

 > For the newer sis chips / bios version we had to disable the mode-switching
 > and let the VESA-framebuffer initialize the chip. - I spend many hours
 > debugging in the stupid sis_bios.[h,c] ... , too.
 >
 > I have a short info page:
 >   http://www.tfh-berlin.de/~s712059/sis630/index.html

I've looked at it - you only offer binary drivers.
However I think I know what you do. Your patch is pretty similar to
the VESAFbHack patch posted a while ago.
I'm thinking of something different: sis_bios.c is converted BIOS code
anyway. Since we have the int10 infrastructure we can use it to
run the real BIOS and eliminate much of the code in sis_bios.c.

 > I tryed to get docu from sis - even considering signing a NDA - but suddely
 > the email thread with them stopped ... ? - They so not seem to be interessted
 > in getting they chip to work properly under Linux ...

:-(
I would certainly love to have better docs for the graphics part of
the 630 than there are in the 630 datasheet.

Egbert.

--
Egbert Eich                 XFree86 Core Team              SuSE GmbH
                            [EMAIL PROTECTED]               [EMAIL PROTECTED]