On Sun, 2001-12-09 at 13:47, Peter Surda wrote:
> On Sun, Dec 09, 2001 at 04:07:27AM +0100, Michel Dänzer wrote:
> > On Sun, 2001-12-09 at 03:49, Peter Surda wrote:
> > > - there are minor display distortions (parts of screen remain black, basically
> > >   the kde splash screen is completely fscked, but it sorts out later).

BTW is the problem only at the server start or also later?

> > Does the R128BlockHandler() function of the driver you're using contain
> > a FLUSH_RING(); ?
> Yes it does. It could be possible that this bug is triggered by tvout int10,
> because it manifests itself as overwriting certain videoram parts with 0's.
> OTOH splash screen looks ok if I disable dri ....

It's still a possibility because 2D acceleration works quite differently
with DRI enabled now.

> > > - when I do a chvt 1;chvt 7, X starts eating all the CPU time and 2d
> > >   accelerated functions seize working (mouse can be moved but kde panel
> > >   doesn't pop up). killall X doesn't work, killall -9 X does. When this bug
> > >   feels like it should become especially mean to me, this killall -9 X causes
> > >   a complete machine lockup.
> > In R128EnterVT(), try moving the R128ModeInit() and R128EngineInit()
> > calls before the code guarded by #ifdef XF86DRI.
> Yes, you were absolutely right, as always, this wasn't there and moving the
> lines fixed the bug for good.
>
> Syslog still complains CONTINUOSLY though, but I think that isn't so important
> now.

While others have reported the same errors, I haven't seen them here. Do
they always appear, or only under certain circumstances, e.g. running GL
or Xv clients or whatever ?

> > Those are fixes I made in DRI CVS some time ago, but at least the first
> > one is in XFree86 CVS now.
> I see.
>
> Volodya, pls commit the second one. In r128_driver.c, there is a R128EnterVT
> function, and you only have (as Michel says) move ModeInit and EngineInit (3
> lines) before the #ifdef XF86DRI.
>
> Same goes for xf86 maintainers (Marc, Mike, Michel, whoever feels like doing
> it), pls commit in case it isn't there yet.

Yes, someone please merge it from DRI to XFree86 CVS. If this isn't
fixed in 4.2.0, I expect it to generate quite some traffic on these
lists.