The mainline XFree86 server does not use Linux's keycodes.

The TinyX server, on the other hand, reads the kernel keysymbols,
and is fully integrated with Linux terminal handling.  There may
need to be a few lines in a table added to handle the various multimedia
keys sprouting on keyboards these days.

I'll let others comment on the historical genesis of this situation,
as I'm not familiar with the history, and beyond saying that there is
an attempt in the main XFree86 server to do its keyboard handling cross
platform, I don't know the reasons (or even if this situation is a good
idea or not, though given how small the keyboard code is in TinyX, I'm
dubious the current situation is optimal, given the problems this leaves
to the end users).
                           - Jim

--
Jim Gettys