yesterday in a fit of optimism i wrote:

 > ...., doing some research on the logitech itouch keyboard has
 > led me to the conclusion that my keyboard generates the same scancodes
 > that it does, though with different keysyms.  so i can probably make
 > use the itouch xkb keyboard map pretty much directly.  once i figure
 > out how to configure _that_.  :-)
 >
 > when i get home i'll turn off XKbdDisable, and work on getting an itouch
 > config to work.  hopefully i'll then be able to report success.

alas, it was not to be.

i think i don't understand how to configure the xkb stuff.  i thought
that to tell the server i have an itouch compatible keyboard that all
i needed to do was this:

    Section "Keyboard"
       Protocol        "Standard"
       XkbRules        "xfree86"
       XkbModel        "itouch"
       XkbLayout       "us"
       XkbOptions      "ctrl:swapcaps"
    EndSection

i still don't get any events from my "internet keys" though.  is there
something else i have to turn on or enable?  the other odd thing is that
the ctrl:swapcaps setting doesn't seem to work for me, making me think
i really have screwed something up.  bear in mind that i've been running
in XkbDisable mode for years until trying this -- it's not that i just
changed from "pc101" to "itouch".

is there a document somewhere that fully describes the relationship
between Xkb{Rules,Model,Layout,Etc}?

paul