On 8 Jan 2002, Russell Strong wrote:

> Developers,
>
> Are there any plans to add support for sharing displays across several
> computers?  I have seen a couple of programs that attempt to do this,
> but they are not well maintained ( xmux,ccf ). They seemed to be the
> flavour a few years ago in academic circles but they have since lost
> interest.  This sort of thing would be a good replacement for vncserver
> which is far far too slow to be used across any bandwidth limited
> connection.  This would be very useful for remote demonstration of
> prototypes, tutoring, parent computer support, ...

My first thought is that if
        myapp -display remotemachine:0
doesn't do what you want, and VNC is too slow, then you don't have
enough bandwidth for anything equivalent.

If redirecting the keyboard+mouse is sufficient (ie you don't need
to move the picture too) you might find x2x
        ftp://gatekeeper.dec.com/pub/DEC/SRC/x2x/x2x-1.27.tar.gz
useful. It hasn't changed in years, and interacts in interesting ways
with multiple heads (last I heard it needed Xineramafication)
but I find it very useful to drive two computers on my desk
with one keyboard+mouse.

--
Dr. Andrew C. Aitchison         Computer Officer, DPMMS, Cambridge
[EMAIL PROTECTED]   http://www.dpmms.cam.ac.uk/~werdna