On Wed, Jan 16, 2002 at 11:28:14AM -0000, sjb wrote:
>Hi guys,
>
>I had a big problem with my laptop earlier in the week and had to re-install
>Linux .. I also re-installed XF 4.1.99.
>
>When I log in as an ordinary user and type "startx" I get
>
>"Stdout and/or stderr is a pipe"
>
>and X refuses to start "becuase of unsafe environment"
>
>However, if I type "xinit", everything starts properly.
>
>(If I log in as root, both "startx" and "xinit" work)
>
>It's not a big deal because I can start and run X, but does anybody know
>what the error message means and how I can fix it?

This was added as a possible workaround for a problem that was
reported here recently with the X server blocking because it's
stderr output was going to less.  I also set stderr to non-blocking
for non-root users, so it may be OK to remove the pipe check.

Could you send me the output of "sh -x `which startx`" ?

David
--
David Dawes                                  Email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Tungsten Graphics, Inc                       http://www.tungstengraphics.com