On Wed, Jan 23, 2002 at 01:40:13PM -0800, Jim Gettys wrote:

> > > We're planning on using Vojtech's new input mechanism (most generally
> > > fleshed out for USB devices, but it's always been intended for general
> > > use) to deal with input devices in the future on Linux, and will be
> > > retargeting the iPAQ's touch screen driver interface to this interface.
> >
> > Yeah!!!!! I know some time ago I attempted to rewrite the h3600
> > touchscreen to the input api. Unfortunely I never had enough time to
> > complete it.
>
> If you have code lying around, donations greatfully accepted and might
> get it done faster.

It's in the linuxconsole CVS (linuxconsole.sf.net). Note that the CVS
doesn't compile now, we're in process of moving the files around to
match the final directory structure in the kernel sources. Use Dave
Jones's 2.5.2-dj4 kernel if you want to play with the almost-full-blown
input stuff.

> > What? I think you misunderstood the use of EVIOCGABS. That returns the
> > range of values the hardware can generate. Those values are used
> > internally in the input system to filter out junk. Sometimes hardware can
> > give you errous data so those fields filter that.
>
> Could be I misunderstood; the documentation is somewhat fragmentary.  But
> knowing the ranges gives you what you need to rescale data.

Hope my other mail explains the issue. If not, please ask more, both of
you.

> And there are still insane people who want to run true multihead
> (several monitors, X servers, keyboards and mice for more than one users).

Count me in. Maybe I'm insane, but I see this as a good way to save
money and make better use of a fast machine. I could use networked X
terminals, but with multihead it's all much faster, not limited by
network bandwidth.

--
Vojtech Pavlik
SuSE Labs