> Sender: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> From: Marcus Harnisch <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> Date: Wed, 6 Feb 2002 09:30:17 -0500
> To: "Dmitry Yu. Bolkhovityanov" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> Cc: [EMAIL PROTECTED], [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> Subject: Re: User-level Tasks in Hotplug Scripts?
> -----
> I second Dimitry's statements. This problem is *not at all*
> X-specific. There are already lots of PDAs around that use direct
> frame buffer access for instance. Or I might want to use the console
> only. And then it is not even Linux/Unix-specific. I might want to
> configure my hotplugged device from an entirely different OS I happen
> to have a client for. So any X-specific solution is IMHO a dead
> end.

I agree entirely.  There are two issues here: the generic hotplug framework,
and an X specific problem.  The generic framework needs to work with any
mechanism (X, other display systems, SNMP agents, etc.).

X itself has the generic problem of how to delegate connection authority;
I suspect that existing mechanisms (xauth, kerberos, or doing something
with SSH) will serve fine here, with conventions on how to use them.

We need this delegation not only for hotplug, and various other situations
(e.g. migration of applications, etc.) to come up with X over the next
year or two.

Other than needing solutions that play together (hotplug and X), they
are separable problems.  Now that the issues have been aired somewhat,
we could split the discussion between parties and only again hit all
lists when people have concrete solutions to propose.

> Assuming we have a daemon (which can be rather slim BTW).

Note that any daemon solution has similar authorization problems related
to that found by X programs wanting to serve this purpose.  Again, figuring
out who is authorized to do configuration is key.  It is this transition
from priviledged to unpriviledged (but authenticated) that is the trick.

As this stews around my brain, I keep coming back to things like LDAP and
kerberos, for the network transparent case.  But I need to do more homework,
though was hoping someone on these lists might have enough experience with
them to propose something.  I guess I'll go chat with my IETF buddies
about the issue; it is a larger one than hotplug, and in an area I've never
worked in.
                                - Jim

--
Jim Gettys