I second Dimitry's statements. This problem is *not at all*
X-specific. There are already lots of PDAs around that use direct
frame buffer access for instance. Or I might want to use the console
only. And then it is not even Linux/Unix-specific. I might want to
configure my hotplugged device from an entirely different OS I happen
to have a client for. So any X-specific solution is IMHO a dead
end.

Assuming we have a daemon (which can be rather slim BTW). How about
the following scheme:

- Client has to be started. Could be done by user's desktop
  environment as default. User has option to turn it off.

- Client registers with hotplug-server. Optionally, the client has to
  authenticate itself when registering. By default it requests to get
  all hotplug events.

- Server sees some hotplug action and checks who should be
  notified. Optionally it also checks who would be allowed to see this
  event. Server then notifies all clients that meet all necessary
  criteria.

- Client receives notification and opens a dialog with appropriate
  options according to the event. The dialog may be informative
  only. Every dialog offers the option to unregister for this type of
  event/device/whatever.

The main problem now is to have a suite of configuration protocols as
well. I gather that should be easy with printers through CUPS (WWW
browser access) and scanners through SANE (you typically configure the
scanner only when using it).

Best regards,
     Marcus