I know that XML is the computer religion du jure, but as David and
others have mentioned, the bulk of the problems are from situations
where users are required to adjust the configuration files to deal with
problems in the X server.  We should eliminate them first, because these
are problems regardless of config file format.

Then we should design our schema before releasing anything.  I have
dealt with various schema and have designed some XML schema.  Ad hoc
inconsistent XML schema are worse than current configuration file
format. We need to have a very clear schema structure, clear rules on
how the schema is extended for particular driver features, etc.  If we
don't do this up front, then the distributed nature of X development
will lead to an incoherent and inconsistent XML mess.

This does not mean we should not do some prototypes and learning first.
It does mean that these should be recognized as such.  We should learn
from them and warn people that we will scrap the early XML formats later
(after we have learned what works well and what works poorly).  Then we
should make a coherent Schema design that is well described so that the
independent developers create sub-schema that fit together in a
consistent manner.

R Horn