On Mon, 25 Feb 2002 [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> > I got this from a pdf on the monitor I own:
> >
> > Vertical refresh rate : 60-85 Hz
> > Horizontal Scan rate: 60- 80 KHz (Kilo Hetrz).
> > Default set to 72Khz                    <<--- this is what you just said.
> > Horizontal scan rate is adjusted by H.Freq (Hold) as mentioned above.
> > Maximum Resolution: 1600x1200
> > Monitor Adjusted for: 1024x768 Tube: Sony Trinitron
> >
> > http://www.fixedfrequency.com/FTP_Diablo/Readme.txt says:
> >
> > d-1962b.rom    9.02a      72 khz, 85 hz  Sun/Sony GDM-1962b, GDM-1662b
> >
> > This is annoying, information I find on the web often contradicts. Even basic
> > things like refresh rates.
> >
> > The pdf gives *ranges* for a fixed freq monitor??
>
> I think your answer here is the Monitor Adjusted for
> 1024x768 !
>
> All that 'fixed frequency' means is that this monitor does
> not have any means of resizing the picture when you change
> sizes. So you will have to select a size, and adjust the
> monitor manually. The information supplied on the web is
> more 'incomplete' than 'incorrect'.

   Traditionally, "fixed frequency" has meant that the monitor
can only sync to horizontal sync rates within a certain small
window - That it's not a multisync monitor.

  60-80 kHz isn't as fixed as I'm used to seeing in fixed
frequency monitors, but it's still alot less than my ViewSonic
multisync monitor which is 30-108 kHz.  I had a Sony monitor
from an IBM workstation that would only sync from about 60-63 kHz.

   Still, given the specs of the "semi-fixed" monitor above,
it won't sync in the bios bootup screen.  But with things like
doublescanning, you'll get it to sync to modes all the way
down to 480x360 in X.  It will probably do 1600x1200 only
in interlaced modes.

                                MArk.