On 1 Mar 2002, Michel Dänzer wrote:

> On Don, 2002-02-28 at 19:43, Mark Vojkovich wrote:
> > On Thu, 28 Feb 2002, Mike A. Harris wrote:
> >
> > > I've had a few reports now both internally and externally, that
> > > both the nv and nvidia drivers are memleak'ing if the RENDER
> > > extension is used, or more specifically if KDE AA fonts are
> > > enabled while using Nvidia hardware.  Aparently this problem is
> > > in XFree86 4.1.0 but is fixed in 4.2.0, however I have no idea
> > > what the fix is specifically.
> > >
> > > There is a SuSE article on their website about this problem as
> > > well, but with no workaround yet other than to use XFree86 4.2.0.
> > > If someone familiar with the nv driver could whip up a patch that
> > > fixes this problem, I'd be glad to include it in unofficial
> > > builds of XFree86 until our next erratum release.
> >

> >    The "nv" driver doesn't have anything to do with RENDER.
> > It's completely out of the picture.  I don't see how this
> > can be specific to the "nv" or "nvidia" drivers.  Growing
> > memory usage in the server is almost always a client resource
> > leak.  You'll notice that the "nv" driver doesn't allocate
> > any memory outside of initialization.
>
> This is all true, but I also experienced a leak, if not as bad as the
> original poster reported, with 4.1.0 on a G3 PowerBook with a Rage128
> Mobility. I thought it might be architecture specific, but apparently
> not? After ruling out the usual suspects like GTK pixmap themes etc., I
> was also beginning to suspect AA text. I'm not sure right now if it's
> fixed with a 4.2.0 server and 4.1 libraries, or if it's just the extra
> RAM. :)

   Well after I write this extension I was talking about we'll know
if it's a client resource leak or not.  Render has a resource for
GlyphSets and adds Glyphs to it.  When the client dies the GlyphSet
gets freed and hopefully all the Glyphs associated with it get freed.

  One test to do with KDE would be to start without a window manager
(just run X) and then "startkde".  If you kill KDE and the usage
goes down, that would be indicitive of a resource leak in KDE.

                                Mark.