Around 12 o'clock on Mar 29, Mark Vojkovich wrote:

>    The Rage 128 didn't work that way.  It keyed off index values, not
> the color they correspond to.  If it keys off the post colormap lookup
> value, this isn't very useful for video since there can be many identical
> colors in the colormap and your key is no longer unique.

Yeah, I agree -- RGB values are much less useful than pixel value keys.
As I recall, the S3 Savage can be programmed to use either; I don't have
docs for the Radeon to see if this option is available.  What I do know is
that attempting to make it work like the R128 fail and that the gatos code
demonstrates how the post-LUT setup works.

Keith Packard        XFree86 Core Team        Compaq Cambridge Research Lab