Around 15 o'clock on Mar 29, Vladimir Dergachev wrote:

> The reason is that we use colorkeying for clipping. 8bbp display has a
> very large chance that this will break down and part of video will show
> thru. Additionally, 8bpp is just plain bad for color intensive apps - you
> will be ok if your application _only_ displays video via overlay, but what
> if it wants to display a snapshot or user interface as well ?

Yes, I agree that 8bpp isn't used very much these days.  However, the Radeon
driver still supports that mode, so either the Xv code should be disabled
in that mode, or the Xv driver should make it work.

> And this is exactly the reason I did not want to support 8bpp for video
> applications in the first place. It is a large hassle and the effort is
> much better spent on making it work right with 16bpp and 24bpp.

There are still issues to resolve with using DirectColor and xgamma with
the current code.  If you have hardware docs, perhaps you might see if
there is a mode which uses pixel values for keys instead of color values,
that would make all of these problems much easier to resolve.

> 8bpp and video just don't mix well, be it using XShmPutImage or
> XvShmPutImage.

8bpp and video are completely separate, the only question is how the
current buggy drivers should be fixed.

Keith Packard        XFree86 Core Team        Compaq Cambridge Research Lab