Hey all,

Firstly, let me apologise.  I used to think I had a pretty decent
understanding of the user-level workings of XFree86-3.* under Linux
2.0.* and 2.2.*, but now it seems that XFree86-4.* with kernel 2.4.*
has me stumped.  I have little doubt that at the end of this, the
problem will be something trivial or utterly stupid (on my part),
but after two days of banging my head against this, I'm out of ideas.

My problem, in a nutshell, is this:  I have an nVidia GeForce4 MX card.
When I run "startx", X appears to start happily enough.  We have a brief
scroll of text, the flash of the video-mode change, and the whine of
the monitor as it adjusts.  The problem is, the screen goes black.
I don't mean "blank", as in, nothing drawn on it.  I mean "black",
as if it had been switched off.

You know the "backlit" effect you get when your console goes into dpms
or powersave or whatever: it's blank, but when you turn out the lights
in the room, you can still see that it's "light"?  None of that here.
The screen is completely black, but the monitor power-LED says it's still
on (green; not even in its own powersave mode, which is orange...)

Moving the mouse, typing at the keyboard have no effect.  The only way
I can get my console back is with ctrl-alt-backspace, and then switching
the monitor off then on again.  (I can ctrl-alt-F? VT-switch, but that
also requires me to turn the monitor off then on again to get a picture).

I'm running X from CVS (March 24), XF86Config generated for me by
"XFree86 -configure", hand-edited by me to remove a few warnings in
XFree86.0.log (ie. it was warning about using auto-detected HSync and
VertRefresh (which were the correct values from the monitor manual),
so I explicitly set them to silence the warnings.  That sort of thing).
XFree86.0.log now contains no warnings, never contained any errors.

I'm using the "nv" driver (of course), but not the "NVIDIA" module (at the
time I was downloading all this stuff, I got the impression that the NV17
wasn't yet supported.  As an aside, if I'm wrong here, I'd love to be told
so...).  My system is Slackware Linux 8 with kernel 2.4.18 and glibc-2.2.4,
both built (repeatedly) within the last few days.

My motherboard is the VIA KR7A with the KT266A chipset, my CPU is an AMD
Athlon XP, I have 512MB DDR RAM;  I've built the kernel with and without
AGP support, with and without APM support (currently APM support but no AGP).

I've been following the Xpert list for about 9 months (in an effort to get
back up to speed with the current XFree86) but can't remember anything
relevant;  I've been google-searching site:.xfree86.org all day during
builds but found nothing to help me.

In the interest of providing anyone who can help me with all the information
they might need (without wasting more of everyone else's time and bandwidth),
I've put the following files up for inspection:

        http://www-personal.usyd.edu.au/~jboy1609/x/XF86Config
                /etc/X11/XF86Config
                 (generated by "XFree86 -configure", hand-edited by me
                  later to remove warnings)

        http://www-personal.usyd.edu.au/~jboy1609/x/XFree86.0.log
                /var/log/XFree86.0.log
                 (this one is for "startx -- -depth 16" after I tried
                  setting modes in XF86Config;  it's approximately
                  the same as every other run...)

        http://www-personal.usyd.edu.au/~jboy1609/x/config
                /boot/config
                 (linux-2.4.18 kernel config)

        http://www-personal.usyd.edu.au/~jboy1609/x/version
                /proc/version

        http://www-personal.usyd.edu.au/~jboy1609/x/cpuinfo
                /proc/cpuinfo

        http://www-personal.usyd.edu.au/~jboy1609/x/pci
                /proc/pci

        http://www-personal.usyd.edu.au/~jboy1609/x/modules
                /proc/modules

        http://www-personal.usyd.edu.au/~jboy1609/x/apm
                /proc/apm

        http://www-personal.usyd.edu.au/~jboy1609/x/lilo.conf
                /etc/lilo.conf

If there's anything else which might aid diagnosis, please let me know.

Once again, sorry for what is no doubt a moronic mistake on my part,
and thanks for your help (and your continuing work on XFree86).

                                             Jimmy.