On Mon, 2002-06-10 at 18:43, Pat Suwalski wrote:

> I was wondering if someone could clarify the difference between the
> server XF86_Mach64 with the driver 'ati' and XF86_SVGA with the driver
> "r128". They both seem to work with various cards interchangably, and
> have quirks with some laptops or don't work at all with some laptops. I
> guess my question is how is support for chipsets split up between them,
> and why are some ati cards in one server and others in the other?

Mach64 and Rage128 are different chip families. I'm surprised that chips of
both families should work with the same driver.

> The video support page is very vague when it comes supported chipsets.
> It says "...Rage, Rage 128 and Radeon chips by the "ati" driver." But
> the rage driver is XF86_SVGA with r128, not ati.
>
> If someone could clarify my confusion it would be much appreciated.

An important part of the confusion is probably that this sentence sounds
like it's from 4.x documentation while the servers you mention are 3.x.
Upgrading to 4.x shouldn't be a bad idea.