> >   You do realize that potentially no monitor, and certainly no LCD screen,
> >   can output this level of color, right?  (Perhaps they dither it down?)
> >   10 bits per channel is primarily useful for internal calculations, as
> >   far as I know.
> >
> >   So you'd better start your investigation with: "can I even see 10 bits
> >   per channel?" rather than "how?".
>
> To my knowledge, a monitor is an analogous device, that can potetially
> display _any number_  of intermediate shades of each primary colour.
>
> The delimiting factor, I agree, would be the human eye! I wonder, if it
> is capable of distinguishing between 1024 shades of a primary color?

Broadcast television has been using 10 bits per colour for
some conciderable time. If you try and display a shaded
field, going from one level to another, 4 horizontal or
vertical pixels at the same colour can be seen as a step,
while the same thing with four quarter steps ( the
difference between 8 bit and 10 bit ) will resture the
smooth appearance. So while the eye can't distinguish 1024
shades, it can distinguish 256 shades and so a slow
graduation of colour becomes 'steppy'.

--
Lester Caine