On Tuesday 25 June 2002 18:32, Owen Taylor wrote:
> Lukas Molzberger <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
> > Hello,
> > I'm using Linux and XFree for quite some time now and I'm a big fan of
> > it. However, there is one bug that has always annoyed me. When I resize a
> > window under XFree then it can take a long time until the content of this
> > window is redrawn.
> > I've also looked into the Mailing List archieves and found an discussion
> > about this topic earlier, but it seemed to be without a result:
> > http://www.xfree86.org/pipermail/render/2001-March/000829.html
> > I think that it would be good to have this issue fixed for two reasons.
> > First, it looks ugly and second, for many people resizing a window is a
> > simple way of testing the performance of a new OS like Linux.
>
> I think what you are seeing is a known bug in the XFree86 scheduler:
>
>  http://www.xfree86.org/pipermail/xpert/2001-August/010435.html
>
> Basically, what happens is that X sees:
>
>  Window manager isn't taking much time to draw and is getting lots
>  of mouse events.
>
>  Application is taking a lot time to draw and is getting no mouse events.
Yes, I think that's exactly the problem.

> Decides that the application is a badly behaved client and starves it
> out of existence. Running X with the -dumbSched command line option
> should improve things a lot.
OK, I'll try that.

> I talked about with this Keith at some point and he thought it
> should be easy to fix, but I don't remember the details.
>
> Like many scheduling problems, it is, fundementally an architectural
> problem. Ideally, the window manager should wait for the client before
> processing the next step in the resize; but it's really hard to do
> this with the Window manager / client separation in X.
Is there really no way to let the window manager wait for the client? I mean,
sure, you can improve the behavior by changing the scheduler, but I doubt
that you can really fix the problem this way.  Wouldn't it be possible to let
the client application send an "finished drawing" event back to the WM? If
that's not possible in X itself, would it make sense to implement a
communication between the WM and the client completly outside the X server,
for example through dcop? I know, that would also be just a hack since the
problem would only be fixed for applications that support this.

Cheers,
Lukas