On Mon, Jul 15, 2002 at 01:11:17AM +0200, Lukas Molzberger wrote:
> Hello,
Hi.

> in recent years many people were talking about Linux on the desktop.
> However, before there is any real chance that this could happen a few
> fundamential problems in XFree must be solved. These are:
Looks like a nice flamewar :-)

> 1. XFree is far too slow.
It is not. During the last couple of years I have been simply astonished how
it improves. Perhaps you have an old XF86 version or badly supported driver or
badly written app.

With me it is VERY fast even on a PII or, in case you use thin clients even a
PI. What you need is a lot of RAM, and you need it regardles of OS.

> 2. What is presented on the screen should always be consistent (i.e. no
> flickering).
(translation for those who don't understand) -> syncing certain redraws to
vertical refresh. This is in most cases solved by simply using a higher
refresh rate. Having the ability to monitor vertical refresh is a neat thing
e.g. for watching movies (actually a necessary one for high quality), but this
doesn't necessarily have to do with X: the kernel must provide it first.

> (3. It should be possible to configure XFree over a dialog that is intergrated
> in Gnome and Kde.)
This isn't a problem of XF86 but of KDE/Gnome. Thought it would be neat if
XF86 provided ways to change virtual resolution, depth and refresh rate on the
fly, as far as I know it can't do this currently.

> I'm sorry to say that and I really don't want to offend any people. But
> I've hardly seen any progress regarding these problems during the last two
> years and I don't see any way how this could change in the next two years.
Oh? I have seen VERY MUCH happen in this area in the last 2 years (4.0 is a
MAJOR improvement, so is Xv, DRI, RENDER, ...). Perhaps you weren't following
the development that closely.

> Cheers
> Lukas
Bye,

Peter Surda (Shurdeek) <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, ICQ 10236103, +436505122023

--
            It is easier to fix Unix than to live with NT.