> 2. What is presented on the screen should always be consistent (i.e.
> no flickering).

This is something I've seem many many times, mostly from people coming
from other OS. People claim that opaque move and resize is generally
faster with less flickering on other systems.

I feel concerned about this (probably because I'm working on a window
manager) so I decided to take a look at how it works (sorry, I mean how
it "looks") on other systems.

I've tried with MS Windows XP, BeOS and QNX (the two last being low
latency kernels). I must say that, on the same hardware, I don't really
see any difference with X. The problem people report on X show in other
systems too. And, by increasing the priority of X and using a fast
window manager, I really think X is similar to other windowing systems
in this area.

All this is mostly a matter of feeling, it's hard to measure the delay
for a window refresh anyway. And it depends on the application too
(OpenOffice shows a huge delay, for example, and it does so on all
systems I guess)

Cheers,
--
Olivier               <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>            http://www.xfce.org