On Tue, Jul 16, 2002 at 08:39:10AM -0400, Mike A. Harris wrote:
[...]
> I don't interpret what Mark said like that at all.
[...]

(This comment below applies to all your comments I've cut here.)

People's expectations and potential are always a very subjective matter.
Perhaps I didn't understand Mark words correctly. I had no intention to
offend him and I hope I haven't done it.

> >Ironically, for a couple of months I've been trying to join the XFree86
> >developer team but after all this time this process still didn't
> >finish... and every now and then one reads threads about how the XFree86
> >developers can't cope with the number of patches and feature requests...
>
> Well, I'd be surprised if you would be rejected from joining the
> XFree86 member development team after your current efforts
> working on DRI with Mach64.  How exactly have you been attempting
> to join?  Perhaps something is messed up with that process.

I suppose it has been approved, BOTH I'm not quite sure.

Anyway, my intention in becoming a XFree86 developer was to be able to
monitor the XFree86 development more closely, because I wasn't (then or
now) getting enough information about it from xpert ML. But from the comments here
regarding the private mailing lists it seems that the answer isn't
there, but simply that Xfree86 developers work more intimately than what
I'm personally used to in the DRI project.

My interest in the XFree86 development is infact rather specific: the
RandR extension will be a crucial brick for a proper 3D support on lower
end cards such as Mach64 which have little onboard memory. My card for
example (sorry to bring the the subject to me, but most open-source
development aims to strach a personal itch, and this was why I first
started), has only 4MB ram, being impossible to have fullscreen 3D
acell at 1024x768. Non-fullscreen 3D can be possible and fullscreen is
possible at lower resolutions, but for that work properly it will be
necessary an efficient memory management of the frame buffer memory, and
here is where I think that the RandR will be important. The same
problem applies to other cards though, as the intended desktop size
and/or color depth increases.

[...]
> More people with CVS write access to the trunk is something that
> I think should be very carefully considered.  David et al need to
> be comfortable that giving someone write access is the right
> thing to do first.  That is something one has to earn by showing
> they know what they're doing, and that having write access would
> alleviate core members from having to commit things.  I don't see
> any problems that would be caused however from having branches of
> CVS available that other developers could use.  That would be a
> good thing IMHO.

My feeling exactly.

> If there were a larger number of active contributors contributing
> frequently in a linux-kernel style, that increased the patch
> submission burden beyond what core developers could handle, and
> some of those developers obviously showed skill at separating the
> good stuff from the bad, I've a feeling David would have little
> objection to adding more people as long as it saved him work and
> didn't create him work (or other core members).

But the way things are going we are never going to reach a large number
of activer contributors.

Seems an egg and chicken problem here... let's wait and see which one
borns first... if at all.

José Fonseca