On 2002-07-22 at 15:16 +0200, Luca Olivetti uttered:

[snip]
| Anyway, I was having a lot of these messages (kernel BUG at
| page_alloc.c) with the current version of nvidia driver (1.0-2960) and
| afterwards the system is unpredictable (possible hard locks, file system
| corruption, anything).

Ack.  Makes you wish you could poke around in the source, eh?  Anyway,
does this only occur when you attempt to do 3D things?  Or does it
happen in 2D land as well?  I've been using the nvidia binary drivers
with the geforce3 for eons with no persistant life-threatening problems.
The only real issue I've seen thus far is related to agpgart but this
probably has nothing to do with your problem.

| At first I didn't relate this to the nvidia driver, but I've looked at
| the kernel mailing list and everybody says that the problem is NVIDIA
| related (I tried to contact nvidia but it seems that
| [EMAIL PROTECTED] is redirected to /dev/null).

/dev/null eh?  Hmm maybe so today but usually they respond within a day
or two.  Most often they don't bother to read your message in entirety
but they do (try to) respond.

| I'm beginning to think that it is true, because, tired of all the
| problems with this driver (earlier versions just froze X but this one is
| more serious), I switched to the xfree "nv" driver and the system has
| been rock solid since then, the only problem is that I cannot play
| tuxracer anymore ;-)
| I'm running Mandrake 8.2 with the updated kernel
| kernel-2.4.18.8.1mdk-1-3mdk and the NVIDIA_kernel built from the source
| rpm, but I had the same problem with the original kernel
| kernel-2.4.18.6mdk-1-1mdk and the corresponding rpm package downloaded
| from www.nvidia.com.

Perhaps Mandrake tweaked the kernel a bit and broke something such that
it doesn't get along with the nvidia code (or vice versa)?  Did you try
or consider trying vanilla kernel source, ie, from kernel.org?

| The kernel is booted with the "mem=nopentium" parameter to workaround
| the known athlon bug (or linux bug wrt athlon) with agp.
| XFree is 4.2.0, straight from Mandrake RPMS.

Call me ignorant but what exactly is the nopentium option for?

Cheers.
krjw.