Mike A. Harris writes:
 > A user has suggested that Option "nomtrr" has solved a problem
 > for him, and would like me to make this option default for his
 > card in the Cards database.
 >
 > I looked through the documentation briefly, and also greped the
 > source tree.  I see the option in the sources, but not in the
 > documentation.
 >
 > Just wondering if I'm not looking in the right spot, or if it's
 > just missing from the docs?
 >
 > If it is just missing, let me know and I'll update the XF86Config
 > manpage, and send in a patch.

It is very likely that this option is undocumented.
It turns off setting Write Combining ranges.

However it would be more interesting to find out why the
problem went away as this option shouldn't hurt usually
as long as MMIO areas are not set WC.

I had a similar problem a while ago with a silicon motion
chip. Although only the 4Meg video memory range was marked WC
the system hung.
Either this ranges still contains MMIO registers which I have
overlooked or we have a kernel problem.

Egbert.