The PCI bridge can be put into a special mode allowing infinite retries.
This means that if the video card is given a command, the PCI bus
essentially stops until the video card responds (and some video cards take a
long time to do so).  Some X servers will allow you to turn this particular
feature off while still enabling the other acceleration abilities of the
video card but as to which X servers allow it and how to actually disable
this 'feature' I have no idea.

This is a problem that crops up quite regularly in real-time systems
requiring tight deterministic features (the video card literally blows
determinism out of the water) although I have not personally had to deal
with it.

Troy Davis