>On Tue, 17 Sep 2002, Antonio Bibiano wrote:
>
>> When I play some sounds and I move a window or scroll a page I ear
>>some clicking noises, I have a sound blaster live! (with ALSA module
>>snd-card-emu10k1) and a S3 Savage 4 using the X driver "savage" for
>>the XFree86 4.2.0 .

   These are usually PCI retry problems.  Those happen when the graphics
driver sends data to the card when there is not room in the fifo.  In that
case a PCI disconnect occurs and the bus retries sending the data
until there is room again.  This has a distruptive effect on the
performance of other cards using the PCI bus.   I don't know if this
is what is happening with the Savage driver, but what I described
is the typical cause.

                        Mark.