On Thu, 19 Sep 2002, Keith Packard wrote:

> A question has arisen recently and we're hoping for some outside comments,
> given the passage of time and somewhat unanticipated advances in modern
> toolkits.

> The idea was to make sure that existing application would still be usable
> while the screen depth was switched -- emulating the desired visual with
> the hardware would leave those "legacy" applications running in an emulated
> visual while the "smart" applications reconfigured themselves to use one of
> the currently accelerated visuals.

> Given that there is no sample implementation of this capability, and that
> at least Jim and I aren't going to manage to produce one in the immediate
> future, the question is should we eliminate this part of the RandR
> specification so that the extension as a whole can demonstrate a complete
> sample implementation and become a useful standard part of XFree86?

> Eliminating this feature from RandR would mean that applications migrating
> from one X screen to another would need to be able to adapt to the available
> visuals, rather than anticipating that whatever visual currently in use
> would be available in the target server.
>
> As both Gtk+ 2 and Qt provide very abstract rendering interfaces for
> applications, (and GTK 2.2 supports moving between screens even between
> dissimilar X servers) this is not a burden for migrating applications written
> to either of these two toolkits, reducing the urgency of this part of
> the extension. The burden would fall solely on legacy toolkit applications
> which want to add migration capabilities (and the number of legacy toolkit
> applications continue to decline).

ls -l  /usr/lib/libgtk-1.2.so.0.9.1 /usr/lib/qt-3.0.3/lib/libqt-mt.so.3.0.3*
/usr/X11R6/lib/libXt.so.6.0 /usr/X11R6/lib/libX11.so.6.2
-rwxr-xr-x    1 root     root      1410465 Apr 18 02:18 /usr/lib/libgtk-1.2.so.0.9.1*
-rwxr-xr-x    1 root     root      7644546 Apr 17 00:06
/usr/lib/qt-3.0.3/lib/libqt-mt.so.3.0.3*
-rwxr-xr-x    1 root     root       874476 Apr 19 04:12 /usr/X11R6/lib/libX11.so.6.2*
-rwxr-xr-x    1 root     root       306040 Apr 19 04:12 /usr/X11R6/lib/libXt.so.6.0*

and I thought Keith was worried about the size of Xt !
I'd like to be able to move an app from my palmtop to the living-room
screen or video wall. I think it will a while before palmtops have
memory/storage to be able to use Qt.

Legacy apps may be in decline, but I think they have plenty of life left.
Are we really asking that apps such as xdvi and ghostscipt be ported to
Gtk+/Qt ?

> The other limitation would be that there would be no good way to share
> typical PC hardware between pseudo color and true color applications.
> Emulating pseuedo color operations on true color screens remains
> impractical. Environments left with legacy pseudo-color dependent apps
> would continue to run X servers in pseudo color mode without access to
> reasonable true color visuals.  We could still perform this emulation in
> the server, but RandR provided the means to switch acceleration modes so
> that a large pseudo color app could get reasonable performance while
> wrecking the display of any simultaneously displayed true color apps.

Although 8+24 overlay hardware support is very limited, PC hardware
support for DirectColor isn't uncommon. I take it you intend to emulate
PsuedoColor when DirectColor is available ?
(Color-map flashing can be annoying, so I wouldn't object to a server
flag which had to be set to enable PsuedoColor emulation.)

> However, without some interest in the community for this feature along with
> a reasonable commitment to helping with the implementation, it seems more
> important to get the subset of the specification known to work deployed
> widely rather than wait an indeterminant time for this final piece of the
> original design to be completed.  Please comment if you have an opinion.

"Rotate and Resize" doesn't imply "Redepth", so I can't really object,
but my interest in RandR has always been in the possibility of running
legacy 8 bit apps on a 24 bit screen.
I'm prepared to put some effort into a PseudoColor emulation, but my
skills are such that I wouldn't be able to do it without pointers to
get me started, and assistance when I get stuck, from someone like Keith
or Jim.

In practical terms, you are right, we should deploy the working
subset rather than wait.

--
Dr. Andrew C. Aitchison         Computer Officer, DPMMS, Cambridge
[EMAIL PROTECTED]   http://www.dpmms.cam.ac.uk/~werdna