On Mon, Sep 23, 2002 at 11:21:30AM -0700, Steve Kirkendall wrote:
> Jim Gettys <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > So far, Andrew is the only one to actually say he's at all interested
> > in seeing completion of RandR's depth switching.
> > [...]
> > So unless people crawl out of the woodwork to say I'm wrong, I plan to
> > remove/hide the depth switching part of RandR so that we can go mainline
> > with what we have running today, without exposing us to the danger parts
> > of the design were broken due to lack of implementation experience.
>
> I thought about responding earlier with some ideas about how PseudoColor
> emulation on a DirectColor display might not be too hard to implement,
> but stopped when I came to a problem that can't easily be resolved in
> the server or Xlib.
>
> The problem is that if the programmer assumed that displays would always
> be 8-bit PseudoColor, then there's a pretty good chance that the program
> does too -- that it simply uses the default Visual, and *assumes* it is
> an 8-bit PseudoColor Visual.  I know the old "quake" game did that.

I think that you should divorce these two different problems.  First,
make the server emulate PseudoColor in software, and simply provide
PseudoColor visuals.  Second, stick a hack into libX11 (or make a new
hacked libX11) that allows users to run apps which assume the default
visual is PseudoColor, by mucking with the list of visuals returned from
the server.  The behavior should be controlled by an environment
variable.

-andy