Keith Packard wrote:
> Around 11 o'clock on Sep 23, Steve Kirkendall wrote:
>
> > I think the best way to handle this would be to put the PseudoColor
> > emulation code into something like Xnest -- a server which merely passes
> > the requests on to a real X server after translating the colors.  The
> > legacy applications would run on the Xnest-like display, while modern
> > applications talk directly to the real X server.
>
> That's probably a reasonable approach for switching which visual is the
> default.  Couple that with server-side support for emulated visuals and
> you've got a pretty complete solution.

What's the motivation for implementing the emulated visuals in the
server?  Do some video cards have special hardware for doing the
conversion?  If so, does this mean the wacky visuals are only
"emulated" on cards which lack that special hardware?

Because otherwise, I'd say the PseudoColor emulation should be done
in the Xnest-like proxy.  That way, the real XFree86 server stays
simpler and the proxy can be used with any X server.