Has there been any discussion on translation of the
current XF86 config file to XML format. This would
make it extremely easy to develop UI base
configuration systems for XFree and also offer and
easy way to validate the config file. The current
parser could be easily modified to generate and XML
stream for either translation of the current format
for upgrading or handling the legacy format.

I've thought several times about doing and infact
I did a trivial by hand conversion of a config file to
verify that its easy to rewrite. I would like to see
if a consensus could be reached to do this.

This conversion plus and extension to notify the
server
when a config was updated would make it easier to
allow the server to reset its config on the fly. This
is important for docking and undocking laptops.