On Wed, 2 Oct 2002, Andrew P. Lentvorski wrote:

> > Besides, I see no complaint here about the other drivers that are in the
> > same boat (e.g. newport, i740, etc).  So, what problem did including i810
> > cause?

> Some form of missing header, I think.  If I get this all working, I'll go
> back to the beginning of a clean compile and file a report.

OK.

> > What does `prtconf -Ppv` say?

> Do you *really* want all that?

Not yet, no.

>                                 I was trying to get it to recognize the
> onboard ATI Rage XL chip defined for screen.  Here's the pci node:

>     Node 0xf002d0dc
>         screen:  '/pci@1f,0/SUNW,m64B@13'
>         mouse:  '/pci@1f,0/usb@c,3/mouse@4'
>         keyboard:  '/pci@1f,0/usb@c,3/keyboard@2'
>         net:  '/pci@1f,0/network@c,1'
>         cdrom2:  '/pci@1f,0/ide@d/cdrom@2,0:f'
>         cdrom1:  '/pci@1f,0/ide@d/cdrom@1,0:f'
>         cdrom:  '/pci@1f,0/ide@d/cdrom@1,0:f'
>         disk:  '/pci@1f,0/ide@d/disk@0,0'
>         disk3:  '/pci@1f,0/ide@d/disk@3,0'
>         disk2:  '/pci@1f,0/ide@d/disk@2,0'
>         disk1:  '/pci@1f,0/ide@d/disk@1,0'
>         disk0:  '/pci@1f,0/ide@d/disk@0,0'
>         ide:  '/pci@1f,0/ide@d'
>         floppy:  '/pci@1f,0/isa@7/dma/floppy'
>         ttyb:  '/pci@1f,0/isa@7/serial@0,2e8'
>         ttya:  '/pci@1f,0/isa@7/serial@0,3f8'
>         name:  'aliases'

> >  For that matter, anything interesting in
> > /var/log/XFree86.0.log?

> Possibly.  Here's an excerpt:

> (II) LoadModule: "pcidata"
> (II) Loading /tools/X11R6/lib/modules/libpcidata.a
> (II) Module pcidata: vendor="The XFree86 Project"
>         compiled for 4.2.99.1, module version = 1.0.0
>         ABI class: XFree86 Video Driver, version 0.6
> (WW) xf86LinearVidMem: failed to open /dev/fbs/aperture (No such file or directory)
> (WW) xf86LinearVidMem: either /dev/fbs/aperture or /dev/xsvc device driver required
> (WW) xf86LinearVidMem: linear memory access disabled
> (EE) No OS PCI support available

This is the problem.  Please read point 1. of section 4. in
README.Solaris.  You need to install the aperture driver.

In looking this documentation over, I see that I forget to mention that
the aperture driver must be compiled as a 64-bit binary, something I have
been so far unable to coerce gcc into producing.  So, for now, I recommend
using Sun's cc to build this driver.

Marc.

|  Marc Aurele La France           |  work:   1-780-492-9310           |
|  Computing and Network Services  |  fax:    1-780-492-1729           |
|  352 General Services Building   |  email:  [EMAIL PROTECTED]          |
|  Edmonton, Alberta               |                                   |
|  T6G 2H1                         |     Standard disclaimers apply    |
|  CANADA                          |                                   |