Xavier Bestel wrote:

> Le mar 22/10/2002 à 18:12, Russell a écrit :
> > Hi all,
> >
> > I'm testing out some terminal escape sequences as in:
> >   http://cns.georgetown.edu/~ric/howto/Xterm-Title/ctlseqs.txt
> > Just try typing: echo -ne "\033[2t" into an xterm;)
> >
> > Anyway, how can i type control sequences into an xterm
> > without the cursor moving? When i press ESC, it gets
> > intercepted by the shell. ESC-[ doesn't work either.
>
> type Ctrl-V ESC. more generally, Ctrl-V 'escapes' the next character
> (ha!) so the shell doesn't intercept it.
>
> > Is there a way to echo a string from one xterm into
> > another xterm?
>
> yes. type 'tty' in the first xterm. it will tell you the name of the
> controlling terminal (something like /dev/pts/2), then you can 'echo
> teletransmitter works >/dev/pts/2' in the second xterm.

Thanks, that works well.

Is xterm its 'own' terminal, or is it always an emulator for VT102/220?

When i type ctrl-v then keypad 7/Home, or the dedicated Home key on a
PC102 keyboard, i get ^[[H or ESC-[H (CSI-H). This code is not in the
xterm control sequences spec:
  http://cns.georgetown.edu/~ric/howto/Xterm-Title/ctlseqs.txt

<HOME> is the dedicated Home key, and
<KP7> is the keypad 7/Home key:

/etc/X11/xkb/keycodes/xfree86
  <HOME>=97   /* scan codes */
  <KP7> =79

These symbolic names are converted to logical names:
/etc/X11/xkb/symbols/us
  <HOME> [ Home         ]
  <KP7>  [ KP_Home KP_7 ]
           ^GRP1   ^GRP2(numlock)

What happens now? Are these logical names all that is sent to the
xterm? Does the xterm translate them to show ^[[H on the screen?

I thought terminals were supposed to take control sequences and
interpret them, but xterm seems to take X-specific logical key
names directly. Is there some other stage that converts the logical
key names to terminal control sequences and feeds them to xterm?