On Sat, 2 Nov 2002, Dr Andrew C Aitchison wrote:

> Speaking as someone in the "outer circle" (I'm on the private lists, but
> don't get to change the code) I think that the problem is that none one will
> commit a patch that they don't understand.

Hi Andrew,

So those who send patches should expect some feedback or questions as to
our code.

I submitted a tdfx driver patch on 7th Oct:

> Your submission to <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> has been assigned the
> sequence number A.1297.

I would have expected some sort of reply, perhaps one of:

 - patch accepted
 - send your patch to xx@yy, maintainer of the tdfx driver
 - we don't understand and won't apply - explain why you do ...

In my case the tdfx driver isn't used so much anymore, less so the XVideo
support that the patch improves.  Nevertheless, it seems selfish to keep
the change to myself.

OTOH - my offer of the code is in the Xpert archive so it can be
found.  One person asked for it so far - so perhaps that is sufficient.

Regards,
Steve