On Tuesday 12 November 2002 10:35 am, Dr Andrew C Aitchison wrote:
> On Tue, 12 Nov 2002, John Tapsell wrote:
> > Each input group has one cursor. (Few, in any, graphics cards can cope
> > with multiple hardware cursors, so above one cursor, the rest will have
> > to be software cursors.)
> >
> > Popular window managers will be extended to support multiple input
> > groups. Either by using a new extension, or using the existing extension
> > (I've forgotten what it is called) that gimp for example uses.
>
> Uurrg.
>
> Two input groups doesn't make sense unless you have two foci.
> That means the concept "the window with focus" becomes "the list of
> windows with focus".

Yep - this is why I said the WM will have to support this.

> I think it would need either two event queues, or a new parameter
> in the event queue to say which input group created the event.
> I don't know that area, but I'm not sure that such a change could be done
> without changing the protocol.

Hmm, can this be worked around?  Apps don't need to know which input group
provided the input, and to them they could see just one input group.  (If two
input groups have focus on the same window, perhaps merge the two event
queues.)

> I really don't like the sound of that.

JohnFlux