Thanks for the responses!

I hadn't thought of font translation in the mix.  Perhaps since both of my
examples internally are RH 8, this isn't as much of a problem?  How often
does this occur?  Once per session or every time a screen has to be
refreshed?

I will try to do another experiment with your suggestions to see what the
results are.

Thanks again.

BW