[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

> Thanks for the responses!
>
> I hadn't thought of font translation in the mix.  Perhaps since both of my
> examples internally are RH 8, this isn't as much of a problem?  How often
> does this occur?  Once per session or every time a screen has to be
> refreshed?
>
> I will try to do another experiment with your suggestions to see what the
> results are.

OK, this is just a complete guess, since you don't say _what_
applications you are trying to remote display. (If they are
custom applications, what toolkit?). But to give a guess:

With Red Hat 8, if you are seeing horrible performance, one
definite possibility is that you are are using client-side emulation
of antialiasing.

That is, rendering of of antialiased fonts using Xft is quite
efficient in bandwidth/latency if you have the RENDER extension
on the server.

But if not, then the way that antialiasing is done is to get the
image from the server, composite, and put it back, so a round
trip for each rendering operation.

So, using a Red Hat 8 application over an ISDN line to an old
X server is expected to be really, really, slow.

You can try turning off antialiasing in the GNOME font properties
dialog and see if that helps ... expect things to look awful,
however.

Regards,
                                        Owen