On Fri, 22 Nov 2002, Owen Savill wrote:

> I couldn't agree more !!!
>
> I have an ATI Rage Mobility Pro chipset. This was 3D accelerated in
> 3.3.6 but not in 4.0. There seems to be so many ATI drivers / modules /
> kernel options / ATI's own stuff that the picture for me to try and
> resolve if any one is still looking at 3D on this chipset is extremely
> difficult.

I can help you out there, I've been working on the DRI support for mach64
along with Jose Fonseca, so yes it is being actively developed.  Mach64
(incl. Rage Mobility P/M,L) has 3D support for 4.x in a branch of the DRI
project.  I think Utah-GLX has the beginnings of 4.x support as well, but
I don't know the current status of that.  Snapshots of the DRI driver are
available here:

http://dri.sourceforge.net/snapshots/bleeding-edge/

Info on status and features of the DRI driver can be found here:
http://dri.sourceforge.net/doc/feature_table.html

...and on my site here:
http://www.retinalburn.net/linux/dri_status.html

There is XVideo overlay support for mach64 in the XFree86 4.x kdrive
driver, but not the standard 'ati' driver yet.  The gatos driver has
mach64 support for overlay as well as tv-in and capture support for
mach64 All-in-Wonder cards.  I also have a driver based on the DRI branch
with the GATOS driver merged in here:

http://www.retinalburn.net/linux/dri_xv.html

Merging the gatos code was pretty trivial, as it's basically
self-contained in separate source files from the rest of the DDX driver.

Eventually, the 3D support should get merged into the mainline XFree86
driver.  We have some DMA issues still to work out in the DRI driver --
namely security and ppc support -- and then the DRI driver will get merged
into the DRI trunk.  From there it should get merged into a future XFree86
release and the GATOS project can pick up the 3D support.  As I mentioned,
adding the XVideo overlay support is pretty trivial, and it's been very
stable for me (it's been around in the GATOS driver for quite some time
now), so I don't see why that couldn't be merged into the mainline XFree86
driver as well.  As far as tv-in and capture goes, that part of the GATOS
code seems to be more of a moving target, so that functionality will
probably only be available through the GATOS project -- at least until
things stabilize more.  I tend to think of the DRI and GATOS projects as
branches of XFree86.  At any rate, that's my 2 cents -- what gets merged
into XFree86 will depend on the XFree86 developers.

So, with any luck I haven't made things more confusing than they already
were. ;)

> Your list is missing at least one other that I know of, namely Utah-GLX !
>
> Owen
>
> David Balazic wrote:
> >
> > Hi!
> >
> > As a future ATI Radeon 8500 owner :-) I wonder about the different
> > available drivers :
> >
> >  - xfree86
> >  - dri
> >  - gatos
> >  - ati.com
> >
> > How are they related ?
> > Do the serve the same purpose or every one does its own part ?
> > ( read : do I install one of them or do I combine them ? )
> > Is there any overlap in functionality/features ? Code ?
> > Is gatos fully free/open ?
> > How about ATI.com ? Binary only ?
> > Are those FAQ's ?
> > And finally , what is the best ( combination of ) driver(s) out of
> > those ( are there any others ? ) for an end user ?
> >
> > Regards, TIA and party on,
> > david balazic

Leif Delgass
http://www.retinalburn.net