On Nov 21, Keith Packard wrote:
 > Of course, this is just the fallback; it uses the synthetic 'dpi' as set
 > by the Xft.dpi resource in preference

Keith,

Is the Xft.dpi resource intended to be the "logical dpi" as you
described:

        http://www.xfree86.org/pipermail/fonts/2001-November/001109.html

If so, can we come up with a better name for it? When I see Xft.dpi I
feel like I should set it to an actual dots-per-inch value, (which as
you convincingly argue above is not what is really wanted for
controlling font sizes).

Even "logical dpi" isn't a totally satisfying name. It does indicate
that something is going on other counting dots and dividing by length
in space, but it doesn't give me any help in figuring out what value I
should provide.

In a reply to the message above, Andrew suggested, "dots per degree
?". Is that what we want here?

-Carl

--
Carl Worth
USC Information Sciences Institute                 [EMAIL PROTECTED]