For those who don't read /., here is a message from ATI on the
problems with the ATI driver on "Powered by ATI" cards:
"Terry Makedon (Senior Product Manager, Software for ATI Technologies)
writes "Last week we posted a set of unified Linux drivers. These
drivers were only loading up on 'Built by ATI' cards. Through our
various feedback mechanisms we have determined that there is a large
community of 'Powered by ATI' Linux users that did not benefit from
our Linux drivers. At this point we are happy to announce an update to
our Linux driver (ver. 2.5.1) which will work on both 'Powered by' and
'Built by.' ATI's driver and software strategy is firmly based on
responsiveness and we greatly appreciate the feedback our Linux users
have provided. Please use http://apps.ati.com/linuxDfeedback/ for a
direct feedback line to ATI.

Thanks again for the feedback."

R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)
E-mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]                  Phone: +1 510 486-8634