On Wed, 27 Nov 2002, Leif Jensen wrote:

> I have long had some problems with xf86 on my Acer Travelmate 610 with
> an i815em chipset.  I installed xf86 compiled from cvs from 2002-11-26
> in hope of resolving the problems, but there are still some issues.
>
> The two problems I experience are graphics glitches and broken xvideo.
> Fortunately, GL is now working fine.
>
> "Graphics glitches" refers to blocks in widget backgrounds or window
> decorations that are rendered in the wrong color or with portions copied
> from other parts of the display.

Hi Leif,

This is a long standing, well known bug in the i810 driver.  I spent some
time a few months ago on it, but unfortunately I ran out of extra time to
continue hunting it down.  There's much discussion about it if you browse
the archives from this summer and early fall.

It seems to be specific to KDE, and from the small amount of time I spent
on it, I believe it has something to do with the pixmap cache.  A few
people on the list sent me a patch or two to try, and one of them
contained a hack that would allow you to view the pixmap cache on screen.
It seemed that whenever the corruption would appear on screen, if I looked
at the pixmap cache, the tiles used to draw the window backgrounds would
also be corrupted in the same manner.

Bill