On Sat, Dec 14, 2002 at 02:50:17PM -0600, Paul Elliott wrote:
> I was at my local LINUX group, where it was said that if you
> get the virgin XFree86 tarball, then make World;make install
> the resulting system will crash.

This is plainly false - so I wonder if they didn't say something
slightly different...

If you use a distribution like RedHat, Mandrake, Debian, etc that
provides extensive package management facilities to the user, compiling
XFree86 yourself will probably invalidate your package data.

ie - if you install XF86 CVS on a Debian system, apt-get and dpkg don't
know about the newer version of X you have.  So they'll happily try to
download whatever package exists and install it.  This sucks, since
it'll probably overwite the custom CVS installation you did (assuming
you put it in the normal places).

If you're a somewhat seasoned Un*x-like guru (or you don't care about
screwing up your package manager) this isn't a problem.  If you're a
newbie, you should definately avoid this - it will cause headaches in
the future.

--
Ross Vandegrift
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

A Pope has a Water Cannon.                               It is a Water Cannon.
He fires Holy-Water from it.                        It is a Holy-Water Cannon.
He Blesses it.                                 It is a Holy Holy-Water Cannon.
He Blesses the Hell out of it.          It is a Wholly Holy Holy-Water Cannon.
He has it pierced.                It is a Holey Wholly Holy Holy-Water Cannon.
He makes it official.       It is a Canon Holey Wholly Holy Holy-Water Cannon.
Batman and Robin arrive.                                       He shoots them.