On Sun, 15 Dec 2002, Mike A. Harris wrote:

> On Sat, 14 Dec 2002, F. Heitkamp wrote:
>
> The problem with that though, is that XFree86 is not the only
> thing that plunks files under /usr/X11R6.  Many other
> applications infect the /usr/X11R6 heirarchy with their own
> files.  If you move the directory, these applications become
> inaccessible unless they are still in your path.
>
> You can redefine ProjectRoot in host.def to make X install to a
> separate location however.

Yes.  I know that. I basically only move the directory just
to make sure that "make install" doesn't crap out as it
sometimes will do even after a successful "make World".

I probably should have added that if I feel extra paranoid
I tar and gzip the old X11R6 directory before I attempt
the install process at all.

> Hope this helps.

Thanks.

Fred