Am Donnerstag, 2. Januar 2003 18:57 schrieb Jose Avalis:
> Hi Scott, thanks for your respond
>
>  fxs is not running, but it is supoused to be loaded by "startx", maybe I
> should reinstall the packages related to X, the thing is that I have no
> idea how to do that from command line.
>
>   Could you tell me which utility should I use andwhich packages should I
> remorve and reinstall?

Doesn't RedHat have some kind of package manager? Simply reinstall the X
server package and the font server. There may be some different packages for
the server drivers, simply reinstall everything that's already installed.

Before that I would look if there are "dead" lockfiles or pidfiles that
prevent a new instance from running. This is most common when X crashes but
may also happen if the font server terminates. Look for those files in /temp
and in /var/lock, and don't forget to specify the "-a"-option for the ls
command to see the files starting with a dot. Are there any hints in the
/var/log/messages (or whatever the system log file is called on your
distribution) about the start or failure of the font server?

Sebastian
--

while (!asleep)
  sheep++