I am trying to build a 4.2.1 release of XFree86 (XDirectFB actually)
and getting an error when I try to configure it to build the Xserver
only.

I have BuildServersOnly defined, but when I try to "make World", I get
a failure trying to build pswrap:

$ make World
cd ./config/pswrap && make pswrap DEFINES=
make[1]: Entering directory
`/usr/src/RPM/BUILD/XFree86-4.2.1/xc/config/pswrap'
make[1]: *** No rule to make target `pswrap'.  Stop.
make[1]: Leaving directory
`/usr/src/RPM/BUILD/XFree86-4.2.1/xc/config/pswrap'
make: *** [World] Error 2
make: Leaving directory `/usr/src/RPM/BUILD/XFree86-4.2.1/xc'

The problem seems to be that the Makefile in xc has the following for
the "World" target:

World:
    cd $(IMAKESRC) && $(MAKE) $(FLAGS) clean
    $(MAKE) $(MFLAGS) Makefile.boot
    $(MAKE_CMD) $(MFLAGS) VerifyOS
    $(MAKE_CMD) $(MFLAGS) version.def
    $(MAKE_CMD) $(MFLAGS) Makefiles
    $(MAKE_CMD) $(MFLAGS) BOOTSTRAPSUBDIRS= clean
    cd $(CONFIGSRC)/pswrap && $(MAKE) pswrap DEFINES=
    $(MAKE_CMD) $(MFLAGS) includes
    $(MAKE) -C $(CONFIGSRC)/util gccmakedep
    $(MAKE_CMD) $(MFLAGS) depend
    $(MAKE_CMD) $(MFLAGS) $(WORLDOPTS) World
    @echo ""
    @date
    @echo ""
    @echo Full build of $(RELEASE) of the X Window System complete.
    @echo ""

Notice that "make World" directly specifies that pswrap be built
(cd $(CONFIGSRC)/pswrap && $(MAKE) pswrap DEFINES=).

However, the Imakefile in config (the parent directory to pswrap) has
the following in it:

#if BuildDPSLibrary
PSWRAPDIR = pswrap
#endif
SUBDIRS = cf $(BOOTSTRAPSUBDIRS) util $(PSWRAPDIR)

which causes pswrap to be ignored (because it is only in SUBDIRS
conditional on BuildDPSLibrary) when making Makefiles, etc. if
BuildDPSLibrary is false.  BuildDPSLibrary is false because in
xc/config/cf/X11.tmpl there is the following:

#define BuildDPSLibraries !BuildServersOnly

So it seems that pswrap is mutually exclusive of building a server
only, but the toplevel make World target wants to build it,
unconditionally.

So I pressume I must be doing something wrong.  I am sure I am not the
first person to want to build a "BuildServersOnly" configuruation.  Is
make World the wrong target to call to simply build (a) server(s)?

b.

--
Brian J. Murrell