On Wed, Sep 14, 2016 at 1:53 PM, Jeremy Huddleston Sequoia
<jerem...@gmail.com> wrote:

>> On Sep 14, 2016, at 09:51, Jack Howarth <howarth.mailing.li...@gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>> Jeremy,
>>      There is a major thinko in how you built XQuartz 2.7.10-rc2. The
>> files...
>>
>> $ otool -L /opt/X11/lib/flat_namespace/libXt.6.dylib
>> /opt/X11/lib/flat_namespace/libXt.6.dylib:
>> /opt/X11/lib/libXt.6.dylib (compatibility version 7.0.0, current version
>> 7.0.0)
>> /opt/X11/lib/libSM.6.dylib (compatibility version 7.0.0, current version
>> 7.1.0)
>> /opt/X11/lib/libICE.6.dylib (compatibility version 10.0.0, current
>> version 10.0.0)
>> /opt/X11/lib/libX11.6.dylib (compatibility version 10.0.0, current
>> version 10.0.0)
>> /opt/X11/lib/libxcb.1.dylib (compatibility version 3.0.0, current version
>> 3.0.0)
>> /opt/X11/lib/libXau.6.dylib (compatibility version 7.0.0, current version
>> 7.0.0)
>> /opt/X11/lib/libXdmcp.6.dylib (compatibility version 7.0.0, current
>> version 7.0.0)
>> /usr/lib/libSystem.B.dylib (compatibility version 1.0.0, current
>> version 1225.1.1)
>>
>> and
>>
>> $ otool -L /opt/X11/lib/flat_namespace/libXt.7.dylib
>> /opt/X11/lib/flat_namespace/libXt.7.dylib:
>> /opt/X11/lib/libXt.6.dylib (compatibility version 7.0.0, current version
>> 7.0.0)
>> /opt/X11/lib/libSM.6.dylib (compatibility version 7.0.0, current version
>> 7.1.0)
>> /opt/X11/lib/libICE.6.dylib (compatibility version 10.0.0, current
>> version 10.0.0)
>> /opt/X11/lib/libX11.6.dylib (compatibility version 10.0.0, current
>> version 10.0.0)
>> /opt/X11/lib/libxcb.1.dylib (compatibility version 3.0.0, current version
>> 3.0.0)
>> /opt/X11/lib/libXau.6.dylib (compatibility version 7.0.0, current version
>> 7.0.0)
>> /opt/X11/lib/libXdmcp.6.dylib (compatibility version 7.0.0, current
>> version 7.0.0)
>> /usr/lib/libSystem.B.dylib (compatibility version 1.0.0, current
>> version 1225.1.1)
>>
>> have the wrong install name path. So any binaries linked against those
>> two flat-namespace shared libraries are going to load the two-level
>> namespace ones instead.
>
> Nope, that is exactly correct.  Projects should NOT be linking against those
> libraries.  They are being shipped for runtime usage only.  Parties that are
> interested in using those instead of the ones we ship by default can copy
> them into location or use DYLD_LIBRARY_PATH as suggested earlier.
>
> Any developer trying to link against those binaries should instead invest
> time in fixing Motif.  There's no reason anyone should be linking against
> those directly.

I am pretty certain that there is no way to fix this that doesn't
break the motif ABI with pre-existing binaries because the crux of the
problem is a name-space collision with libXt. My understanding was
that linux doesn't tickle this problem because their weak symbol
handling allows the overlapping symbols from motif to dominate over
those from libXt.